Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One Month in India! What now?

Day 29 – February 26, 2009 – Thursday

A morning hitch hike to the health center to recover my TVS sets the tone of the day. I drive over to Town Hall for 24-cent breakfast. Working at the stock home in the morning, Laxman sends a boy over with my new TVS. I have learned from this transaction not to get rid of something good for the hope of something better, as the new one just simply isn’t as good. After lunch I meditate in the courage chamber. Supercharged with positive energy from my solo meditation, I head to the banyan tree for a brief rest, then to Sean’s. A good chill session at Sean’s becomes better after ordering pizza. I leave after ordering and drive to Matrimandir and walk up to the lotus pond underneath, which happens to be flowing with water. I am the only person there and the bottom half of Matrimandir is lit up and wet, as if it’s organic and alive. I feel as if I am uncovering a secret of Auroville. Delicious pizza at Sean’s follows the cosmic meditation.


Day 30 – February 27, 2009 – Friday

In the afternoon I painted the Discipline bathroom and swept the floor of the main kitchen area. Before and after, I chilled at Sean and Lukas’ place in Windarra. I went to Richy’s alone for dinner, picked up Spanish Delight ice cream, and went to Tina’s to cheer her up. I couldn’t stay for long though – I got to her place at 7 and I had an appointment to be at the Youth Center at 8, where I led spirit journeys for a group of eight. Jan David brought his drum, mats were provided, music was shut off, and we went out into the forested area to explore our imaginations. Lucas couldn’t find his animal on the first trip, and Nikolai couldn’t even find the underworld, stuck in his tunnel. After everyone shared their stories we did another journey, and this time everyone had a successful journey. Nikolai had to find stones in his tunnel to remove, and Lucas just had to explore a bit more. Afterward I went back to Kailash with Lucas, we each took a shot of Brandy, then began our aimless drive to Pondicherry to find a house party. Luckily we reached someone on the way who knew how to get there. Arriving, it was completely packed, the music was loud, dancing intense, and there was a table with buckets full of alcoholic mixed drinks and straws for people to re-use. Sloppy night!


Thirty Days – First Month Experience

Arriving in India I recall being amazed at how different the culture is, but arriving in Auroville and exploring its mystery has been more than just a stroll through paradise. The United States was once known as the land of opportunity, and today that statement still holds true, although to a different degree depending on your class. Hey, Tony Montana made it from rags to riches in America, so anybody can. But in Auroville, where everything is dirt cheap, where everyone strives for greater communal harmony and a more perfect society – I have never seen a land with more opportunity and potential than here.

Auroville is no typical city. With 2000 residents and about 8000 guests and visitors, Auroville is 30% Indian, and 70% European. There are about 25,000 Tamil natives in the region that choose not to affiliate with Auroville, and assimilating them is a project on its own. Hitching a ride in this unusually friendly town is a cinch – with about a hundred rides on the backs of strangers, I’ve grown particularly fond of the free ride. I always strike up a conversation, and I meet some very interesting people during my brief rides from place to place. People usually smile as they drive by, and I often hear people say, “good morning,” or “afternoon.” The friendly atmosphere is perfect for me – I always want to greet strangers with an open heart even if there is no intention for conversation, but America seems to find such behavior odd. Everyone is America is too stressed about money and deadlines to show compassion to random sidewalk strangers. But here, there is enough love for everyone, and all seem open to new friendships.

There is a mysterious air about Auroville. I feel like I am the main character in an epic adventure game, trekking through India and Auroville on a path to uncover a timeless secret. I felt like I was close to uncovering a great truth last night when I walked up to Matrimandir in the evening for meditation. Light reflected off the wet golden discs, and Matrimandir seemed alive, organic, like a seed about to crack open. I walked closer and noticed that I was alone, then sat by the lotus pond directly underneath Matrimandir. Water ran over every petal of the lotus pond, the first time I had seen it running. My solo meditation expedition under the golden ball of conscious awakening that unifies Auroville turned out to be a very special experience.

Auroville is my sanctuary of love and light, a place for me to open my heart, learn, teach, work, play, and interact with incredible people and projects. I’ve had tremendous spiritual progress in the first month, but I need to work on having a better balance between chilling with friends and partying and spending time on self-improvement. If I want to attain Nirvana in this life, then I must step it up. I have spent enough lifetimes indulging my senses and my ego. The world is on the brink, and if anyone’s going to save the world from suffering it’s best to be self-reliant. I’m coming, but not the me you think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment