Friday, January 30, 2009

Paradise Found

Flying from SF to NY was typical, and even though I enjoy United because they don't charge extra for a second carry-on, I had no idea that other airlines were simply... better. From NY-Brussels-Chennai I sat aboard Jet Airways, the highest rated airline in India. The seats were more comfortable, and best of all, everything on board was free. Alcohol, movies, games, and delicious meals all served to make my 30-hour journey to Auroville a little more pleasant.

Claiming my luggage and walking outside, there were hundreds of natives waiting for family or taxi clients. It was midnight, but an enormous parking lot behind them was completely packed. Apparently there are ten million people in Chennai. I found my cab driver and hit the road to Auroville.

Along the way we stopped for tea at a ghetto shop. I'll show a picture later. It was about 3am and there were eight other customers, mostly without shoes, and a man sleeping on the floor behind the counter. Cows and dogs littered the road.

At 4am I arrived at Newland, a small residential plot in Auroville where Jonny lives. Jonny is my guide and work master, and I'm staying at his little two-story hut. He's a quirky, pleasant German man resembling a character from the movie Waking Life. The hut has a kitchen on the bottom floor, sleeping space upstairs, and an outdoor shower and toilet ten meters from the hut. The dogs in the area barked to greet me. Lizards meandered across the walls, ants explored the floor, and a bat flew in circles in the kitchen to celebrate my arrival.

Jonny and I talked for a couple hours before heading to sleep. At 10:30 am I rose to find Jonny back from his early morning duties. After a cool shower I left for the town on the back of Jonny's bike. We pulled up at the Matrimandir office, and the glory before my eyes was absolutely mesmerizing. Matrimandir is an enormous gold-plated ball used as a meditation center. The pictures online make it seem like it's only thirty feet tall, when it's actually more like ninety. Beside Matrimandir is an enormous Banyan tree marking the center of Auroville. I've never seen one before - roots crawl down from the branches to form support posts.

Next, Jonny takes me to an area where Eucalyptus trees fell due to a cyclone. He has a crew of seven Tamil natives chopping them up and relocating them. Amateurs, but they get the job done., however slowly. I'm excited to bring my fast-paced work ethic to this town.

Pained with hunger, Jonny and I left for the solar kitchen, which is an enormous cafeteria that serves most of the town. The food is all vegetarian, and rather delicious. Following lunch, Jonny gave me a tour of the town and took me to register. It turns out guests have to pay 100 rupees per day to stay, which is about $2.10. Jonny might be able to clear that for me later.

A buddy of Jonny's lent me a bicycle, and then the two of us returned to Matrimandir. Although guest visitors aren't allowed after 11:30am, Jonny, a resident, showed me secret spots around the giant golden ball to meditate during the sunset.

I rode off alone to solar cafe for dinner and made a friend. Afterwards Jonny took me to a jazz rock concert in an auditorium for 700, and it was practically full. There were a surprising amount of cute girls there, mostly German. Things are looking good here...

Today has been even more incredible: Jonny took me inside Matrimandir after guest hours, and showed me all the nooks and crannies of its construction. The place certainly feels sacred. He took me to the top where a few Aurovilians did maintenance. The view was gorgeous - I could see most of the town and the ocean in the distance. Guest visitors are not permitted on the top, so I felt particularly blessed to have such an experience on my second day in Auroville, having done nothing yet to prove my worth. Next we went into the main meditation chamber. A large crystal ball sat in the center, filled with sunlight coming through the roof. The sunlight is guided by an automated mirror system that follows the sun's path throughout the day. Penetrating the crystal ball, the light shines through to a second crystal ball in a lotus pond underneath Matrimandir. Meditating in front of the large crystal ball in the main room, my mind was filled with an unusual energy. The holiness of this building is real. There is so much more to share about my experience inside Matrimandir and the peripheral meditation rooms, but sitting in front of a computer when I have so much to explore is become less and less appealing.

I have the rest of the day to myself to explore paradise.

1 comment:

  1. Its sounds like your on the right path, stay straight and i'll see you when you get back...

    ReplyDelete