Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome to the Adventure

Hey guys!

This is where I'll be posting updates and journal entries on my trip through the United States and Latin America. The goal of my trip is to gain firsthand experience of shamanic practices and culture, to learn about organic and sustainable farming practices and cooperatives, to develop and hone my spirit, and return to nature.

I'll be leaving in two or three weeks once I finish planning. I signed up for WWOOF (World Wide Organization of Organic Farms) in the USA and Mexico and I'm trying to decide which farms I'd like to stay at, among over a thousand choices.

My plan is to WWOOF at spiritual farms (there are surprisingly many) in California, then head to Arizona to chill with the Hopi tribe and the Native American Church. Hopefully through kindness and good works I can show the Hopi that I am worthy of learning about their culture and spiritual traditions. I'll ask them for advice before going down south.

In Mexico, I'll stay at various hostels and WWOOF farms while exploring Huichol, Huarinol, and Mazatec cultures, and studying the ancient Aztec culture. The main goal in Mexico is to find a hatun laika, a master shaman, and to gain an apprenticeship. The secondary goal is to continue my exploration of sustainable farming and community building. After Mexico, I'll head to Guatemala to study the Mayan culture. From there I head to Ecuador for more shamanic studies, then to Peru where I can explore the remnants of Incan civilzation.

I need to get a few things before I leave for my trip:
non-cotton clothing, including pants, socks, and fleece jacket
headlight
hat
tent
knife
work gloves
camera
travelers checks

I already have a backpack, sleeping bag, passport. If you have any suggestions for other things to bring let me know.

To do:
Email WWOOF farms - apply, question, and plan out where I'll be staying
Check out a list of hostels in California, Arizona, Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Peru
Check out spiritual centers and intentional communities online in California and Arizona
Compile a document with maps, locations, transportation to all sites of interest
Pack up and set out!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds INCREDIBLE. I am so horny for this!!! I would totally come visit you somewhere for like a week or something.

    ReplyDelete